Benjamin D. MacLennan, MD
Back, Neck, and Spine Specialist
Dr. MacLennan is a fellowship-trained spine surgeon who specializes in cervical, thoracic, and lumbar adult degenerative spine conditions.
A native of Cedar Falls, Iowa, Dr. MacLennan graduated summa cum laude from Binghamton University, The State University of New York, with his Bachelor of Science degree in biochemistry. He received his Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine and then went on to complete his internship and residency training in orthopedic surgery in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Following his residency, Dr. MacLennan completed advanced spine surgery training during his fellowship in Seattle, Washington.
When he's not seeing patients, Dr. MacLennan enjoys hockey, golf, running, biking, swimming, and music.
“The education and training I received has given me a solid foundation of excellent care upon which I continue to build. The most essential component of this care is communicating effectively with my patients. This allows me to educate them about their individual conditions and treatment options. This empowers the patient to make informed decisions.
"Patients often worry that seeing an orthopedic surgeon means they will have surgery. In reality, only a small percentage of patients I see require surgery. Along with my experienced colleagues, I am able to help the majority of people with numerous nonsurgical treatment modalities. Surgery is reserved as the last treatment option. With adherence to proven surgical indications, this conservative approach leads to improved outcomes for patients.
"Furthermore, I am committed to staying current with the latest, most effective treatment techniques in spinal care. Especially interesting are the tremendous technological advances that allow surgery to be done in a less invasive manner. My training has given me extensive experience with this, allowing me to perform many procedures in an outpatient setting.”
- Undergraduate Studies: Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry, Binghamton University, State University of New York, Binghamton, NY
- Medical Degree: Doctor of Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA
- Internship: Orthopaedic Surgery, Grand Rapids Medical Education Partners, Grand Rapids, MI
- Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery, Grand Rapids Medical Education Partners, Grand Rapids, MI
- Fellowship: Spine, Seattle, WA
- Board-Certified: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Member: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, North American Spine Society